‘The reality is that we live in a technologically divided world.’ ~ Mike Elgan
Good morning! This is your Random Truth (RANT) bulletin with your random food for thought, which you will digest if you’ve brought your good set of teeth with you.
We’re feeling particularly snarky today, but it’s all for a good cause. Today’s in-your-face RANT will identify the exact reason why the world is not operating according to its full potential, nowhere near the edge of its knowledge frontier.
The good is is, we’re about to identify one of the reasons for our frustrating progress. Knowing what holds us back will help propel itusforward in due course.
Today’s topic, dear friends: The technological divide.
The technological divide is a real phenomenon, causing a number of problems across the board. It creates most of the tensions we are currently faced with.
But don’t take my word for it. Take Forbes’s word. According to a recent article concerning the harsh realities of technological progress:
1) There is a divide between those who possess technological power and those who don’t.
2) Some of us have neither the option to use the most recent technology, nor the choice to opt in or out of its workings, which gives rise to tensions on both a local and a global scale.
3) Certain groups and setups have the ability to survive the rising tide of technology and information, while others are sunk by it.
4) Those who can’t handle the tide exhibit fear and confusion, some of which is rational, some of which is not.
5) The benefits from bridging the technological divide will theoretically allow technology to operate closer to its frontier without causing the populace panic or alarm.
In other words, to paraphrase an exhausted cliché, it’s not about the size of the technology but about how people use it. It’s not about how far one goes but how far behind in the race the rest have fallen. The gap between the frontrunners and the laggards defines the world on an everyday basis more than any apparatus, tool, gear or outfit.
To read the article for yourselves, click here.
And here’s a little music to carry you along, if that helps, because . . .
‘. . . you won’t get wise with the sleep still in your eyes.’
From RANT headquarters,
Have a nice day!
First published in a blog, Oct 03, 2014